The amazing combination of sun, sea, mild Mediterranean climate and vast expanses of the sea is what enchants everyone who comes to the Slovenian resort town of Portorož. The very name of the resort Portorož hides the history of the port, flowers, the sea, the saline, warm even in winter, pleasant Mediterranean climate. The resort of Portorož, in the arms of the Gulf of Piran, is surrounded on land by picturesque Istrian villages, with stone buildings, rolling hills planted with olive orchards and vines. Portorož offers unlimited opportunities for nature walks, recreation and entertainment.
All the buildings of Portoroz are located in the south-west direction and are closed by mountains from the north, so there is always a lot of sun in Portoroz and there is no cold wind. It is a cozy resort town with a developed infrastructure. Today's Portorož combines the luxury of the Riviera, the spirit and charm of Italy, the atmosphere of calm and tranquility. Holidays in Portoroz are pleasant at any time of the year. In summer, Portorož is crowded, filled with bright colors, the sound of music, expensive cars and yachts, luxurious hotels and restaurants with exquisite seafood. Winter holidays in Portorož - silence, soft sea air, southern color, hiking, medical procedures and restful sleep. Winter Portorož acquired the image of a New Year's resort for a calm, peaceful rest, relaxation and recovery. Portorož is not only a classic seaside resort, but also a major health center in Europe. As a healing center, Portorož resort was mentioned already in the 13th century! The Benedictine monks of the monastery of St. Lovrenz already used concentrated sea water and mud to treat rheumatism, obesity and dropsy. They even created the first guide to using the natural healing properties of the Sečovlje salt marshes. Since then, the Portorož resort has developed a tradition of using local, natural, healing factors, both for medicinal purposes and for beauty. The history of Portorož is varied and carefully preserved. The glory of the health resort has never been interrupted In the 19th century, Portorož, a famous, flourishing city on thermal waters, together with Grado, the Venetian Lido and Opatija, was considered one of the main European resorts within the framework of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Portorož, as a healing thermal and seaside resort, retains its high image to this day.
The Slovenian coast offers ample opportunities for near and far excursions:
• Forma viva - exhibition of sculptures in the open air;
• Piran is one of the best preserved urban monuments in Slovenian Istria, the birthplace of the famous violinist Giuseppe Tartini, an exotic city with amazing architecture.
• Natural reserves - Sechovel Saltworks and Strunjan - with a century-old tradition of natural salt extraction.
• Postojna Cave - one of the most famous, largest and most beautiful caves in the world, inhabited by the only "human fish" in the universe.
• Predjama Castle is one of the most picturesque castles in Slovenia, where the knight, the robber Erasmus, was hiding in the Middle Ages. The castle is open for an internal view and strikes the imagination of contemporaries.
• Lipica is a world-class stud farm, the birthplace of white Lipizzan horses.
• The Škocjan Caves - the secret world of the Kras Underground, included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
• Typical Istrian villages on the coast: Koshtabona, Krkavce, Hrastovlje, Motovun, Groznjan and others.
• Izola and Koper are interesting historical and attractive coastal towns.
• Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia, the center of political, economic and cultural life.
• Venice and Trieste are Italian cities with unique architecture and history.
Active recreation, entertainment and nearby excursion routes
Portorož is an ideal place for outdoor enthusiasts with a large and varied choice of sports activities.
Numerous water sports centers offer: sailing, surfing, jet skiing, skydiving and banana boating. It offers rental props for water sports and fishing. Fans of the deep sea can visit the numerous diving clubs. In Portoroz harbor you can rent a yacht or other vessel, and at Portoroz airport you can enroll in a parachute school.
In the immediate vicinity of the center of Portoroz there are numerous walking and cycling paths, tennis courts, a multifunctional sports hall, beach volleyball courts on the city beach, mini golf courses, a Go-Kart center and a pilot center in Sečovlje, as well as golf courses in city of Lipica.